tinyⒶllotment

Growing as much food on as little land for as little money as possible


5 Comments

Drone flight over the Geodesic Dome

As I mentioned in a previous post my friend Neil came over a couple of weeks ago with his drone to take some footage of the Geodesic Dome and the surrounding allotments. Here is the footage he shot that day after some editing and some rather pleasent and fitting music was added. Ignore the idiot with the hat!

Great job Neil.

He is going to come over a few times throughout the season to chart our progress with the project.

If you would like a dome like this in your garden or allotment we are now producing them as a kit. Please call Paul on 07796890337 to discuss options.

More soon

Advertisements


6 Comments

Interesting weekend at the dome plot.

Spent most of the weekend on the dome plot but because the weather was so nice I decided to work outside and try and sort out the small plot of land that surrounds the dome. I wanted to tidy up the perimeter of the plot as it is a mess and impossible to maintain without spraying with chemicals. I needed to replace the old fence with something that was easy to strim up to and would also form the outer edge of no dig beds. I found someone who needed to get rid of some scaffold boards as they were taking up space so I got them up the the plot. I was in the process of giving the boards a coat of wood stain when a car pulls up in the carpark and out jumps a couple of young ladies. They were from the local university and one of them was studying photography. They asked if they could do a photo shoot in the dome. So for a hour one took photos of the other in various poses in and around the dome whilst I got on with the painting.

That was Saturday. On Sunday a friend turned up with a professional quality drone and did some aerial shots of the dome and surrounding area. I was really impressed with the quality of the raw footage. Both the photographer and the drone pilot said they would send over the footage so hopefully, very soon, I should have some nice pictures and video to post on the blog.

I did manage to get the perimeter sorted out though plus I have hung the gate that has been leaning against the fence for the last year.

This is what the plot looked like before I started

2016-02-282010-05-23_zpszkymk0ew

2016-02-282010-05-12_zpsuvvwukrz

2016-02-282010-04-51_zpsqxauorlc

In between the posts and intertwined with the grass was old rusty chicken wire and a lot of rocks. The previous guy on this plot took all the stones he could find and placed them around the edge of the plot for some reason. It took some effort to rip up all the wire and dig out the grass, roots and stones but I think it looks a lot better now and will be a lot easier to maintain in the future.

2016-02-282017-01-45_zpskljzy6te

2016-02-282017-01-56_zpsjnehce3e

The plan now is to build a fence off the top of the boards so the wire will be protected from the strimmers.

The weather is becoming wet again for a few days so we will start doing more work inside the dome.

more soon